Wednesday 8 September 2010

A Style Icon


I bought a magazine the other day and read a fab interview featuring the very stylish, former model and fashion muse of the late Yves Saint Laurent. In fact Yves has been known to have called her his twin sister.

The model? Betty Catroux.

Y.S.L is a brand that I class as one of my favourite brands, ever since I can remember I have loved the androgynous look and Y.S.L is a brand that definatly embraces this confident, sexy look. So when I read said article I quickly logged on to check out the history of Yves' muse and seriously, this girl has lived!

Catroux has been an inspiration to many in the fashion industry; Hedi Slimane, Tom Ford, Stefano Pilati and as mentioned Yves Saint Laurent. Over what sounds like an amazing 40 decades, this lucky lady has sat at the right-hand of one of the most creative, stylish and chic designers that the fashion world has ever had the priveledge of knowing. In the interview she discussed her relationship with Yves, saying,

'Eventually everyone else fell away and it was just the two of us. We lived in a golden cage...a closed world of our own making'.

Catroux is famed for her unique look, and after looking through many images of her I can truely understand Yves liking of her: in some images I can see characteristics of the late and incredible Y.S.L. Her look is very much the new season too- she has a 60's vibe about her and her long, blonde locks remind me of the 1970's feel we have seen on the catwalk for fall.


'I think that Yves sensed that we were alike inside; we had the same anguish and the same ups and downs - wanting to die every five minutes then wanting to dance'.


'A sense of humour in life is an enormous bonus'.


'Yves and I never talked about fashion; I hate fashion. We just talked about what we felt and what we thought'.


'We didn't want to grow up, and our dream was to live a never-ending childhood'.

No comments: