Tuesday 7 October 2008

Uni shoot..

God damn it i hate not having the internet! I should be getting it at the weekend so there will be a hell of a lot more blogging, promise! x

But for now just something to look forward too.

At uni i have been set a project to focus on tribes and sub-cultures and identify what tribe i fit into. With this i then need to do a 3 page editorial shoot which i style and photograph for my assessment in january- trust me when i have done all the editorial work and of course the shoot, over christmas i will post my final shots (in their editorial) on here. Prior to my assessment we have weekly briefs set to help us with our final assessment pieces and one of the briefs we were set was to put together 8 different images and looks for practice for the final shoot, i did this last friday and the shoot was really successful, when i have the net at home i will post the test shots on here and you guys can give me feedback on what works and what doesn't! Basically the shoot focused on the homeless. I decided to look into this tribe/group as when assesssing myself to fit myself into a group, i really just don't fit! Hence homeless not fitting into society-i played with this idea. I looked at photographers such as Don McCullin, who works primarily with black and white photography and who photographs reality (some photographs in his book 'Sleeping with the Enemy' are unbelivable, one specifically of an albino boy in a camp- the image is so horrid, you really feel for the boy.) And then of course the fashion/documentry photographer Corinne Day, for her gritty, 'unstylised' fashion imagery from her early days in photography. (I must just quickly mention a fantastic book i came across, 'Imperfect Beauty', which is a book that includes lots of interviews from photographers/ stylists and art directors and is great for any fashion reader!). I really wanted to capture the emotion of the homeless, i thought of everything down to the positioning of myself as photographer to the models pose. The only thing that i found difficult (as i got so into looking into the homeless and photographers' work) was making the image a fashion image rather than just literally photographing the homeless. But as said, the photoshoot was successfull and im really pleased with the images i shot. And i need to thank my model, George, she helped me out a hell of a lot. Not just by modeling my clothes (also getting changed in the street and dealing very well with the harrassing guys!) but advising me with some things on the shoot as im still very amateur with this!
I will post the images on here next week some time (hopefully i will have the internet) and like i said, you guys can give me some feedback.


Thanks Ashes, speak soon xxx

No comments: